- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon dried milk powder
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon The Casa Market Mexican Vanilla Paste
- 1 teaspoon The Casa Market Mexican Vanilla Extract
1. Combine the xanthan gum and ¼ cup of the sugar; stir well to combine.
2. Place the yolks in a medium bowl.
3. Add the xanthan gum mixture to the yolks and whisk to combine; set aside.
4. Meanwhile, combine the milk, milk powder, remaining ½ cup of sugar, corn syrup and salt in a medium, high-sided skillet and whisk to combine.
5. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
6. While whisking constantly, slowly ladle some of the hot liquid to the eggs until half of the liquid has been added.
7. Add the egg mixture to the pot, and cook over medium heat, while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, for 2-3 minutes. Be careful to not to cook the eggs.
8. Immediately remove the custard from the heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl.
9. Add the heavy cream, The Casa Market Mexican Vanilla Paste, and The Casa Market Mexican Vanilla Extract and stir to combine.
10. Cool in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 1 hour.
11. Cover the custard and refrigerate overnight.
12. Churn the custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
13. Place into 2 pint containers, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until set, for at least 6 hours